Here is a lesson in SEO history. Websites have been around for many years, and businesses have also been using this technology for quite some time… take a look at the time line below.
- Mid-1990s — Webmaster and content providers began optimizing sites for search engines. Webmaster also known as Web developer.
- 1997 — The phrase ” Search engine optimization” came into use. Site owners started to recognize the value of having highly ranked and visible in search engines results.
- 1998 — Larry Page and Sergey Brin founded Google. Google attracted a loyal following among the growing number of internet users.
- · 2004 — Search engines had incorporated a wide range of undisclosed factors in their ranking algorithms to reduce the impact of link manipulation. Google says it ranks sites using more then 200 different signals.
- · 2005 — Google began personalizing search results for each user. Depending in their history of previous searches, Google crafted results for logged in users.
- · 2007 — Google announced a campaign against paid links that transfer Page-Rank.
- · 2009 — Google disclosed that they had taken measures to mitigate the effects of Page-Rank sculpting by use of the no follow attribute on links. December 2009 Google announced it would be using the web search history of all its users in order to populate search results.